2nd November 2020 - Embedded Electronics Engineer
Bodle Technologies Limited is a University of Oxford spinout developing SRD®, the world’s first solid-state reflective display technology, based on phase-change materials. Providing vivid colour and video-capability, with zero energy use for static image storage, the technology is ideally suited to address the issues of poor outdoor readability and high power consumption associated with transmissive and emissive displays.
Bodle offers the opportunity to join a small, dynamic team with broad and complementary expertise and an egalitarian ethos. We aim to encourage the brightest minds to work towards achieving our strategic goals, and will reward our employees for their contributions with a highly competitive salary, and potential for other performance based benefits including share-options.
We are seeking an Electronic Engineer with experience designing, assembling and programming embedded systems with power efficient FPGAs and microcontrollers, to help build complete systems demonstrating phase-change material based films and displays.
The successful candidate will:
- Design, build and maintain integrated electronic systems for driving SRD® prototypes, from single pixel devices to arrays of up to millions of pixels.
- Design and implement electronic interface systems for testing and integrating with custom-built active matrix arrays comprising thin-film circuits on glass.
- Show initiative and creativity to help achieve ambitious research milestones, proposing inventive solutions to new problems and assisting with patenting these.
- Be diligent in documenting clearly all activities and results obtained.
- Be flexible in their willingness to take on projects with different technical elements and timescales, and quick to learn new concepts and techniques.
- If required, supporting the Chief Executive Officer and the Chief Technology Officer in commercialisation talks, including preparation of reports and creating documents to support the role of technology in potential commercialisation.
- Assisting with other practical and administrative duties as required. This is a small company, and all staff members are expected to contribute to these tasks.
You should ensure that your letter of application, together with your cv and a separate sheet specifically and concisely addressing the selection criteria clearly indicates how your experience and qualifications fulfil the following selection criteria, as your application will be judged on that basis.
- A good first degree or MSc (or equivalent working experience) in electronic/electrical engineering, computer science, embedded systems or related area.
- Practical experience of electronics including op-amps, analogue and digital electronics design, ADC/DAC circuitry, discrete transistor design and schematics/PCB design.
- Practical experience of software/firmware programming including USB/I2C/SPI/UART programming interfaces and flash memory programming.
- Firmware development experience implementing C, C++ based embedded systems.
- Proficiency programming ARM (STM32 preferred) based microcontroller devices.
- Experience using C#, Matlab and Python to communicate and control external hardware.
- Programming experience of VHDL/Verilog, particularly for display device driving applications.
- Report and documentation. Ability to store and retrieve detailed design information and experimental data. Ability to communicate results in an efficient and professional manner is a must.
- Evidence of self-motivation and the ability to meet agreed deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as an active member of a team, working cooperatively within the group, while effectively planning your own workload within the project.
- Good knowledge of any CAD design software for Electronics Design, e.g Eagle, KiCAD, Altium, Orcad or Cadstar.
- Experience with Atollic TrueStudio or other open source platforms for embedded systems.
- Knowledge designing and debugging both embedded software and hardware.
- Experience with Lattice Radiant or other FPGA software platforms.
- Practical experience of using Python or software for algorithm development, particularly related to digital image processing.
- Previous experience working on display or other large-area thin-film electronics.
- A track record of problem-solving and creativity, including patented ideas or published novel research results.
- Experience of collaborations with external groups and industry.
- Willingness and ability to travel for short periods to work with collaborators abroad, if required (Covid permitting).
Bodle Technologies Limited is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Bodle is determined by competence, professionalism and attitude. Gender, race, disability status, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or any other legally protected status do not have any influence on our hiring process or business operations.
Please send a CV and a separate letter of application that specifically and concisely explains how your experience matches the role requirements, to: